Saturday, July 26, 2014

Project Runway Season 13 Faves (Warning: Contains Spoilers From Ep. 1)

    Shoutout to the wonderful Andy who alerted me to the fact that the newest season of Project Runway had begun (: I have been obsessed with the show since late middle school, and it is onto its (lucky) Season 13! I shall commence to gush about my favorites.


  My ultimate favorite is Angela Sum. I realized this when I would literally begin cheering for her every time she appeared on my laptop screen during the first episode (my friend who had been around me at the time can testify). Sum's a thirty-two-year-old, petite Asian designer with a clean-cut and romantic aesthetic. Think neat blouses, pastels, and neutrals. Her previous job consisted of Wall Street and computer engineering, but after spending nights after her all her coworkers had gone home for the day sewing clothing on conference tables, she decided to pursue fashion full-time. She ditched a tiny New York space for her new L.A. studio, and now she's fighting for the perks of Project Runway Season 13. Anxiety-ridden (to the point of clumsily dropping one of her sample pieces in front of Heidi, Nina, and Zac during her audition), she went through the motions of the first challenge with a panicked expression on her face and an inability to properly socialize on account of her frenzied thoughts. A nervous wreck myself, I could not help but sympathize. I hope she manages to keep herself calm and rock the second challenge.

    Next, challenge winner Sandhya Garg, 28, from Birmingham, AL, stole my heart. For this challenge, she created a dip-dyed floral-print frock with long sleeves, cut-and-frayed edges, and outlined accents from the scrap fabric and 24-hours each designer was allotted. Garg designs with a creative, cultural eye. Many of her ideas stem from her Indian influences. I'm obsessed with her careful thought and addition of personal details to each of her designs. Her looks have a playful charm mixed with Bollywood and a Free People-esque essence of intricacy yet effortlessness.
    And last but not least, I'm rooting for Char Glover, 37, from Detroit as she is a fellow pocket-enthusiast. Both her audition sample and her runway look incorporated skirts with pockets. I know I have way too many floral skirts, but hand me a skirt with pockets and putting it back on the store rack just got a lot more difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment