Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Birks!












I’m sorry about the horrible camera quality of my Birks! My point-shoot Sony recently died :(
Anyway, Birkenstocks!
For those of you who don’t know, Birkenstock is a German shoe company with the motto “Cork. Leather. A buckle or two.” 
The “Arizona” style in particular has made a revival since Kate Moss rocked them in 1990. (See b&w picture above) In the recent Spring and Summer 2014 seasons, Birks have made into the closets of style bloggers, both men and women alike. [Swiss fashion blogger:(https://www.michaelablog.com/search/label/outfit) Filipino fashion blogger: (https://lookbook.nu/look/5181000-Versace-Plain-White-Shirt-Birkenstock-Sandal).] Birks have become runway appropriate yet maintain an alternative vibe, sneaking their way into Free People cataloge spreads. Manrepeller’s Leandra Medine rocks them as well (https://www.manrepeller.com/2013/08/on-ugly-shoes-again.html). (I hope these don't totally repel my boyfriend). 
I’ve been coveting these “ugly” shoes for a while, hoping to someday earn enough to invest in this rare article of footwear that unites the concepts of fashion and comfort. Birks are wicked expensive, a basic pair running between $89.95 and $130. And, ya know you're mostly paying for the brand. Nevertheless, the quality and comfort of Birkenstocks is undeniable, so I was willing to buy into the hype and try out a pair. 
The ones I picked up were the ‘Birkenstock Arizona Soft Footbed Billard Nubuck (Uni-sex).’ Mine are in a size 37 (5.5-6). https://www.onlineshoes.com/mens-birkenstock-arizona-soft-footbed-billiard-nubuck-p_id329066 And I almost died when I found out they were on sale for 62% off at Nordstrom Rack. The only pair of Birks in my size on the sale rack. $129.95 to $49.95. DUDE. I could not not get them. You know if they're on sale and the last pair is in your size, you have to buy them. It's like the universe is willing such an event to occur!

 Granted, $50 is still pricey for flats/sandals, but these were so perfect, I decided to invest. I was not even concerned about the color. I will find a way to wear these with everything I own because a) I am determined to get my bang for my buck, b) I want to help make comfort a fashion statement, and c) I just love them. Most people might stare at  the "crazy teal ugly sandal things" on my feet and think, "Wow, her outfit could have been so much cuter if she wore a different pair of shoes" (like my sister). But as always, the haters gonna hate. The cashier thought the vivid teal was pretty sweet. "I haven't seen any Birks this color before!" What can I say. I'm an art student-- the kind who barely survives the black&white unit of beginning art. I like myself some color. 

No comments:

Post a Comment